- to learn the basics of analysing social media via a hands on session with Facebook, Twitter or Foursquare
- to gain hands on experience of accessing data, creating apps and running analysis methods
- to gain experience in team-based rapid prototyping
- Students should have experience with at least 1 web scripting language, e.g. PHP, *rails, python etc.
- Students will need their own laptop
- Experience with JSON is advantageous but not necessarily essential
- Time – this session will into the night
In this course we will explore the methods that facilitate Social Media analysis, with a focus on Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare. The course will begin with short tutorials on the different platforms, methods to access public data and common analysis methods. Participants will then be split into teams of 4-6 and under the guidance of the supervisors, define and design a hackathon project based upon their interests and personal goals. Starting environments will be provided. The students will then have 6-8 hours to implement their project with the help of the supervisors and will present their projects to the summer school participants the following day.